- Because our extra fine Merino fibres are so fine and light it is an ideal fibre for year round wear.
- Even when air is cold or damp, a molecular process called ‘heat of sorption’ releases heat, which can be felt by the garment wearer. All fibres do this, but extra fine Merino does it four times as much as nylon and at least double this for polyester.
- The natural crimp of our extra fine Merino fibre enables it to trap air effectively, thus insulating the body from the cold.
Designed by nature to protect the human body from the environment yet at the same time, be in harmonious unison with it. Our extra fine Merino, nature’s wonder fibre has been around for centuries and plays an integral part in the creation of our iconic garments.
So why choose Merino?
The perfect lightweight layer:
- For the wearer of one of our iconic extra fine Merino garments, the Merino creates its own microclimate around the body, acting as a buffer against changing conditions and maintaining higher comfort levels.
- Because our extra fine Merino fibre breathes with the wearer it means there is no unpleasant ‘clammy’ sensation and our extra fine merino garments can be worn in warm or cool weather.
- Synthetic fibres don’t have this ability, which is why they don’t score as well for comfort.
- Customers quickly discover our extra fine Merino garments to be exceptionally soft.
- People invariably touch the fibre again and again, enjoying its soft luxurious handle. The garments are sensuously comfortable against the skin – the fine fibre causes no irritation or prickle.
- Fashion trends for light, natural and pastel colours require an original fibre of clear, clean whiteness. Our extra fine Merino outscores all other Merino when tested for brightness and whiteness.
- This characteristic dramatically increases the colour choices-from natural to vibrant designer shades – while at the same time providing excellent colour retention and sharpness.
The essential travel companion:
- Because of its natural crimp, our extra fine Merino is highly resilient – in fact, it can be bent 30,000 times without danger of breaking or damage.
- This natural elasticity means its ‘wrinkle recovery rate’ is exceptional, especially in a moist environment like a shower room; wrinkles in an extra fine Merino garment will hang out readily.
- Garments made from our extra fine Merino require little if any ironing, which makes it ideal for travelling.
The sports-luxe super absorber
- Our extra fine Merino is a hydroscopic fibre. This means it’s capable of absorbing moisture vapour from the environment while at the same time repelling liquids. That’s unique to extra fine Merino.
- In technical terms, our extra fine Merino can absorb up to 30% of its weight in moisture before it starts to feel damp. Its regain factor (the amount of water in the fibre expressed as a percentage of its dry weight) is 17% under standard conditions, compared to between 1-4% for synthetic fibres.
- The natural ability to absorb and desorb water vapour contributes to extra fine Merino’s excellent comfort performance as an apparel fibre.
- Our extra fine Merino leaves a very light footprint on the planet – it’s a renewable resource and involves a natural growth process of converting grass into fibre, in pollution-free factories.
- It’s also recyclable and bio-degradable.
- Compare this with synthetic fibres,which are made from a non renewable resource and involve the conversion of oil into fibre.